Exponential economic and industrial growth has lead to rapid depletion of our natural resources. Since young minds are most impressionable, it is the moral responsibility of schools to impart values of sustainable living to the future citizens of our world. Students hold the key to the future of our environment, and schools hold the key to student education and awareness. Schools and universities around the world are going green in an effort to reduce their carbon footprints and create an eco-friendly and sustainable ecosystem.
Has your School joined the Green Brigade yet? Here are some great ideas for a green school.
- Paperless Drive : Most schools still use paper for exams as well as administration work. By conducting more tests online and using IT solutions for records and communication purposes, one can reduce paper usage significantly.
- Water Harvesting Drive : Water harvesting is one of the most engaging and purposeful projects that can be done on campus. Involvement of students in planning and implementation of the plan can be the best possible way of providing hands-on training and generating awareness.
- Plantation Drive : Gardening and plantation drives within and around the campus not just beautify the area but can go a long way in saving the environment. Students may be given the responsibility to nurture the trees planted. Competitions can also be held to keep them motivated.
- Recycling Drive : Just teaching kids about recycling will not do the trick anymore… Kids should be given hands-on training regarding segregation of waste, reusing things, compost pits, etc. Recycling bins should be placed next to trash cans and in strategic places throughout the campus. Best-out-of-waste competitions, points for the most eco-friendly class, etc. can encourage the students further.
- Outdoor Classes : When the weather permits, outdoor classes can do wonders to break the monotony and help students reconnect with nature. This will help to refresh and re-energize the students, while cutting down on energy used in the classrooms.
- Alternative Energy : By using alternative energy, much of the burden on non-renewable resources can be reduced. For example, solar energy panels can be installed to generate electricity for the classrooms. Similarly, biomass can be used in the rural areas, where biomass is available in abundance.
- Monthly Themes : Monthly or weekly environmental campaigns can create enthusiasm and keep energy levels high. Ideas can be invited from students and a theme can be selected for that month or week. For e.g., for the theme of reducing carbon emissions, students may be encouraged to commute on foot, by bicycle or by other green vehicles for the week/month. Another example could be minimizing electricity consumption. A monthly target for electricity unit consumption can be set and students can be sensitized by sharing unit utilized each week to check their progress.
Every business and organization can contribute to environmental sustainability through smart management of resources and innovative eco-friendly IT solutions. People need to be sensitized to the pressing environmental issues so that they can take action and act responsibly. The schools and the universities are the first step towards generating mass awareness. Hence, every school should take resolute steps towards creating an eco-friendly world.
At Jupsoft, we support and create eco-friendly and innovative solutions to help optimize the use of natural resources. Let’s join hands for a greener tomorrow!